Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!!

The turkey's in the oven, and our formerly non-existant Thanksgiving is going to at least make a small appearance after all...yay!!

Jack does have to work that evening and sleep the day, but that buys me some time to put the polish on some side dishes now that we ARE having T-Day. My daughter found out at the last minute she is NOT traveling out-of-state, so she'll be joining us...double yay!!

My kitchen is not clean, which means that has to happen before the last mad dash of concoctions get concocted, but since this is a GREATLY scaled down scenario, it'll be turkey, gravy, dressing, cranberry sauce, veggies, beans, winter squash, pecan pie, iced tea (or kombucha) and pumpkin cake. Not too shabby, eh?? In comparison to other Thanksgivings, it's small, and I really like to put on the dog (well, bird anyway) for a whole gang of family and friends when possible, which usually requires planning weeks in advance and cooking days in advance, a regular baking tear...which I love! But this is ok for this year...I'm glad we're able to pull off something :)

It sounds like a crazy way of dealing with the empty nest syndrome, since my daughter moved out last weekend to her own place, but most of her things are still here, and she'll be coming to get them soon. So I've been dealing with it the opposite way I thought I would...by removing her things and cleaning and then making certain areas "mine" again. Weird. This isn't the house she grew up in, nor do we have any extra rooms, so we don't have a guest room...till now. The second bathroom is the one she's been using as her own, and with her things gone, it's naked. Enter my things...and now it looks like a whole new place (sorta). I'm glad we've gotten her nice things through the last few years so she has the basics to set herself up with. There are enough reminders here that I'll never lack for the comfort of a few talismen. But seeing ALL THOSE things that have yet to be packed and moved was making me sadder and sadder. So I consolidated them for easier sorting, and regained a bathroom and a big closet...two things in short supply around here. I also cleaned out all the movies...also difficult! But half our office got sorted in the process...and that clears my head some.

This whole year has been weird, weird, weird.

Taking out some of my own things and putting them where my daughter's used to be is weird, too.

But not bad.

And there are a few bonuses (oh yeah!) in not having anyone else in the house but just us two...case in point, the romance department ('nuff said...woo hoo!) So I think we'll deal with this. I haven't burst into tears today one time, and tomorrow we'll be thoroughly L-Tryptophanned and stuffed, and we'll have a great time together if I can manage not to burn everything.

I'm still on my Horrid Food Bungling streak. This turkey should be interesting!!

;-)


HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone who sees this...we are SO thankful for what you mean to us!

16 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

And Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!
Hope it's filled with good food, wonderful friends and family, and many happy memories to be made :)

~Lisa
New Mexico

Shelby said...

Well, how's your turkey looking? It oughta be close to done by now. It's a little after 4 in the morning now at my house and I'm about to get my turkey outa the fridge and fix her up. We'll have dinner this evening. It's the second time in my 44 years that I've fixed a big bird. I'm nervous too.

My husband works today on Thanksgiving, and my daughter went with her grandparents out of town.. so it's just me and my son today.

Quiet.

We'll listen to Christmas music and probably watch a movie or two and cook.

And be thankful.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Robbyn, I'm so glad it worked out that the 3 of you can celebrate together. Dinner sounds yummy!

You'll get through the emptying of the nest, and hey, any day that you don't have a crying fest during this time is a bonus :-).

clown princess said...

No matter how the turkey comes out, have a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

MamaHen said...

Hope you and your family have a great day Robbyn! and I'm sure the turkey will come out fine!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!!!

tina f. said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Ours is going to be a quiet affair also, with just my husband, son, and me. My daughter and her family are headed north to his side for the festivities. But we'll probably see them tomorrow for leftovers!
Enjoy your day!

Michelle said...

Sounds like you are doing a grand job of dealing with the changes in your life, especially your daughter leaving; good for you! Happy Thanksgiving. Ours is going to be a very different one; probably will post to my blog about it later.

Unknown said...

Have a wonderful time together

Gone2theDawgs said...

Here's hoping your turkey turned out the best one you've ever made! Also, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours from all of us at Wrensong!

Brenda Pruitt said...

After the tears, there will be solitude and joy!
Brenda

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Yes, I can appreciate what it has been like for you. We sort of took over our son's space when he flew the coop almost 10 years ago, but then he landed back in the nest, and so we had to find new space for him.

Granny Sue said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Robbyn! It's not the food, it's the celebration of all the good things in our lives--although it does sound to me like you've got the food angle well covered.

You bring a light into my days. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

jayedee said...

hope you had an absolutely lovely day! i'm still full from all the food i crammed down my gullet..but not so full that i didn't manage to eat cold stuffing for breakfast this morning! LOL

Nola said...

Hope your day was wonderful and you enjoyed the time with your family. Our turkey carcass is being recycled into soup as we speak. The house smells of turkey again today, yummo!

Irma said...

Well you certainly made me laugh about the "romance department"....I have been with my Husbandlt One for five years. For the first three months, his grown son lived here. Then grown son moved away for a year. Then he came back for a year. Then he moved out for two. Now he's back again.

And so, yes my friend, I am fully qualified to agree that there IS a difference, lol!