For all the folks out here in blogland who keep chickens, or have kept chickens, I have a couple questions...
1. Do you have a particular favorite breed of chicken, and if so what is it and why do you prefer it? Or if more than one, which ones, etc?
2. Do you use your chickens for your family, to sell, or both? Meat, or eggs, or both?
3. What advice would you give to anyone wanting to start out raising them, other than reading some good books on the subject?
4. Do you primarily keep your chickens in a coop/enclosed chicken yard, or do they roam your property?
5. Do you ever let them into your garden? If no, do you have a fence or something to keep them out?
6. Do you ever use a chicken tractor, and if so, is it for meat birds only? do you use electric/ net poultry fencing? I'm interested in which has worked for you and which has not. What has been your experience with pastured poultry 'a la the Joel Salatin sort (follow behind the livestock grazings at the optimum time), if that applies?
7. Do you keep chickens year-round, or raise them for seasonal processing?
8. How many chickens of a certain type do you raise at one time (what works best for you as far as how many to raise at a time?)
Inquiring minds (me!) want to know. I've seen so many folks with their own styles of chicken raising, and I'm so curious to know what works best for you...