Saturday, April 12, 2008

Against Hate Crimes: Lending a Hand

Today, we read that a much-loved-by-us-and-many-others family of bloggers in the blogosphere were recently dismayed to find their house of worship/study (shul) the target of a hate crime and extensive vandalism. I just read about it on Robin's blog at Mommymommyland, and news coverage of it can be found here.

I make it a habit not to post anything on shabbat, since it's our weekly day of rest. However, I really feel like many homesteading bloggers out here are a community of kindred spirits, and I know there might be some who'd like to help with a word of encouragement or offer of help. Thank you in advance for those of you who will! :)

I so appreciate the community spirit among the many "out here" who ARE truly kindred spirits, with overlapping interests and so much individuality. I glean so much from what we have in common, the things that are our differences, and from the rediscovery or preservation of practical wisdom in how to make our homes unique and nurturing places, live this life in meaningful ways to the fullest, encourage self-sufficiency and utilize skills, and tackle the dreams we've dreamt and face the challenges that inevitably come along.

Hatred, and hate crimes, just don't fit into that mix. Hatred is not harmless, funny, or impotent. Like so many other things that we just can't sit idly by and let happen, it affects us all whether near or far.

For you homeschoolers, teachers, or educators out there, there's a valuable resource of seminars and/or literature, both online and in most geographical locations, that can be incorporated into nearly any curriculum, called Facing History and Ourselves. It is life-changing. I reread the books now and then because I love them. I attended some of their classes years ago, and it opened my eyes as to the impact each of us has as an individual, and the fact that one of the most powerful forces in history has been the bystander.

One of the choices we have is whether or not to remain a bystander. It's a powerful reminder to myself that one person CAN make a difference in our history. We can remember, and act.



And, (like Forrest Gump), that's all I've got to say about that.

No comments: