Friday, March 9, 2007

Bad Girl's Whitefish

This is my rendition of another recipe posted (I'm pretty sure) in a recent Southern Living magazine. (Aha! I just Googled it and, yes, it's Southern Living.) Its original title was "Catfish Jezebel," but since we don't eat catfish, I substituted pollock. I was going for a mild whitefish, and I don't know my fishes all that well. I bought frozen filets, and I'll thaw them before cooking. I'm making this tonight for shabbat dinner. Who knows what else will get tweaked when I actually make it?


Here's the recipe and magazine link:


Catfish (or Whitefish) Jezebel
http://food.southernliving.com/southern/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1578353

1/4 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon horseradish sauce
1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
4 (6-oz.) catfish fillets (I substituted a whitefish)

1. Stir together first 4 ingredients, and set aside.
2. Sprinkle Creole seasoning evenly over fish. Place fish in an aluminum foil-lined roasting pan.
3. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork. Serve with marmalade mixture.

Yield: Makes 4 servings
Patricia Horak, Overland Park, Kansas
Southern Living, FEBRUARY 2007


I'll report on how this turns out for dinner tonight. I'll keep an eye on the cooking time to make sure I don't end up with Fish Jerky...

If I have enough time and can assemble the right ingredients, I may even attempt the Chocolate Bread Pudding recipe I scribbled down from a waiting room magazine a month or so ago. My husband's the bread pudding man, and he'll eat it in any form. I myself prefer bread, skip the pudding. This one is like a cake, though, and is made with torn cooked challah, the bread we usually use for Friday night or Saturday meals.

Let's see if the kitchen Muse is still in residence this afternoon when I'm trying to pull together everything for the weekend :) I'm still wanting to try the cold curry chicken salad recipe, too...
---------------------------------------

Fish update...

We just ate it for dinner. The sauce isn't suited for a mild-flavored fish. It's a nice dipping sauce, but it overwhelmed the fish. The Cajun spice, however, I only sprinkled on it lightly, and it was good. I think I'd either do one or the other. The two different seasonings seem unrelated in taste. I think the sauce would be better suited for chicken strips or kebabs.

I cooked all afternoon...made several meals, breads, baked goods in one afternoon so I won't be needed in the kitchen all weekend. I really need to get out there and hoe up some ground. But first, our day of rest!

I hope everyone has a wonderful night...shalom :)

No comments: