Monday, March 3, 2008

Cooking up Memories

My daughter's friend, Cathy, is here for the week...trying to thaw out in our Florida sun.

My work schedule has really picked up, and yesterday was my off day, but I was having "work lag."

I did manage to get myself into gear shortly after noon, and put together a big homemade meal. Menu of the evening was pieced together from recipes that are tried and true...originally dating from my grandmothers or family friends. I realized when I looked at my plate that our meal was really a tribute to a heritage of good memories preserved in good foods...and it made me smile to have those memories connected so closely to the present, in something as warming as dinner.

My Grandma's meatloaf...
My Grandmother's yeast butter rolls...
My Grandma's Scalloped Potatoes...
One of my best friend's buttered carrots...
My own sauteed asparagus...
and some freshly shucked corn on the cob.

Oh and iced tea...from all my forebears from the deep South.



And leftovers for today's sack lunches...


:)

1 comment:

Mrs. K's Lemonade Stand said...

I think your meal sounds scrumptious and I love the heritage behind it! :)