Friday, January 23, 2009

Seed Exchange


Procrastinator that I am, I'm just now getting the seeds together to send on to the next person on Howling Hill's seed exchange. I received mine from Annette at Ward House , and will be sending the package on to Grace at the GiveMeGrace blog. It should be in the mail either today or Monday, yay! (I'm enclosing the updated mailing list that was sent to me.)
This is the first seed exchange I've done, and looking at all the seeds was exciting! I chose a few seeds...okra, cinderella pumpkin, and egyptian walking onion. The seeds I'm contributing to the collection are winged beans (from ECHO), Seminole pumpkin mix (ECHO), and my own tamarind seeds.
Earlier, I made some homemade seed pouches by cutting up a couple standard letter-sized white envelopes, sealing the edges with invisible tape, and doing a quick watercolor wash on one side and letting it dry. It makes nice individual packets for seeds that can be written on and then sealed. I write the instructions on the back...if I have enough, it might be nice tucked in with a greeting card next year for the holidays as a small gift.
Thanks to HH for including me on this year's seed exchange. Let's see how our gardens grow!

6 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

I think this is wonderful. I've heard of various ones.
Brenda

San Diego Farmgirl said...

I don't have enough heirlooms to be a seed swapper yet. Maybe next year! I like your envelope idea, very clever!

Granny Sue said...

I have not visited here in a while, Robbyn, so I am far behind on reading your posts. I'll catch up this weekend.

As for seed exchanging, you're way ahead of me! I haven't saved enough to try it yet.

P~ said...

I love those seed envelopes!!!
I was just thinking the other day that I needed to pick up some. I think we have an abundance of envelopes though so this may be a project.
Thanks and best of luck with the exchange.
P~

Howling Hill said...

Excellent! I love the seed pouches too!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I love seeing when people take my Walking Onions! It makes me feel so connected to everyone!