Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Getting Caught Up


Boy does it feel better to feel better! It's done wonders to be back on my feet and tackle the backlog of chores that built up in the past few months. I'm about to have my kitchen completely back on track probably by later tonight, and that always gives me some peace of mind. There are still plenty of chores to go, but the pending list is growing shorter.
Soup's still our "fast food" and can always be changed according to what's on hand and our preferences. Some gorgeous sweet potatoes were on sale the other day for 25 cents a lb. so I got two bags full. I never used to like sweet potatoes growing up, but they were usually only prepared a couple of different ways with a lot of added sweetener...too sweet to me. For whatever reason, either changing taste as I grow older, or just finding different ways to use them, I really like them now. My favorite ways are roasted, baked and eaten like a baked potato with butter and a bit of sea salt, oven-style home fries, or in soups.
Yesterday, we feasted on baked sweet potatoes and they really filled us up fast. So into soup they went tonight, from a rich chicken broth that's as easy as putting a whole chicken in a crockpot with some sea salt and water and leaving it till it's falling off the bone...mmm. Stir in some veggies and spices on hand and yum!
Nothing much to report other than things keep good and busy and it feels nice getting caught up. Still wading through the red tape resulting from the truck theft, but we hope that concludes soon, too.
I hope everyone's geared up for a relaxing and happy Thanksgiving!
Be back soon :)

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm glad you're feeling better ;).

The soup looks amazing!

Melodie said...

So glad you are feeling better!I love sweet potatoes,wish I could get my kiddo to eat them too.

Michelle said...

One of my favorite "fast foods" is a sweet potato, plain and simple. I scrub its hide really good, poke it with a fork and cook it in the microwave a few minutes. Then I eat the whole thing without any additives, skin and all! Ah, my life would be so simple if I didn't have to cook for my husband and son....