Friday, July 4, 2008

I'm Honored


I'm very honored that Meadowlark at the Just Wandering Through blog gave me this award...thank you!


It's called the Arte y Pico award, for creativity, design, interesting material, and contributing to the blogging community (in any language). It's to be passed along to 5 blogs that you consider deserve this award based on those criteria.

I think everyone I know in the online homesteading community has their unique ability in creating, designing...and are definately interesting to me. All have contributed to me as a community. It's always so impossible to narrow things down here. It's also difficult for me to know who may have already received this...

I'm going to have to shoot from this hip on this one. Here are the 5, among all the deserving others, that came to mind for those reasons...

1. Edifice Rex -- Annie is an artist in the truest sense. She is a sculptor, potter, gardener/landscape designer, and knows how to create from the ground up...construction, design, problem-solving, do-it-yourself, aesthetics. She's finishing the building of her own home that she built herself. If you haven't stopped in to see her blog lately, it's definately worth the trip :)

2. Maria at Dirt Under My Nails -- definate creativity, as a lifestyle. I can't get enough of seeing how they built their cordwood home, complete with the planted roof! As always, this blog is a delight, with a can-do attitude, and a very wonderful spirit of family teamwork.

3. La Ferme de Sourrou -- I love when two people carve out a life that is authentically theirs; in this case, hardworkinghippy and her hubby have integrated into their local community as well as have wrought, through a lot of effort and vision, a hand-built home for themselves, their animals, and their prolific garden. Combining the potager with chickens, goats, wildlife, and traditional skills, they embody inspiration and grit off the grid in France. Do check out the lush photography, as well.

4. Tina at Irish Dexter Cattle, Cheap Sheep and More Creatures, otherwise known as Wilamar Farm, is the industrious and artistic micro-farmer who does an awful lot on what most folks would consider a small property, considering all the animals who call it home. Her careful planning and diligence really pay off, and these are some very happy creatures. Tina is usually tackling a creative project, and she has trained one of her dogs to be a therapeutic companion for trips to visit residents of nursing homes. She is also a proud mother and grandmother, and finds time to keep experimenting in the kitchen as well. All that, and a garden, too. She has the stuff that turns a homestead into the hearth of a community, and is well-deserving of this award...

5. Katherine Dunn's Apifera Farm always blends accomplished art with a child's-eye wonder. I love how she interprets life on her lavender farm...named for the bees that adore the nectar there...and how farm life and its inhabitants populate not only her homestead, but her imagination and her expression through varied media and writings. Lovely!

There are so many others that should be named as well...

I hope you enjoy revisiting these, and please check out the wonderful blogs listed on the blogroll on my sidebar if you haven't yet...you'll find so much to appreciate and by which to be inspired!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

La Ferme de Sourrou is such a wonderful blog! I fell madly in love with their farm and garden. The animals and the country side are absolutely extraordinary!

Another great simple living site: Down---to---Earth. Rhonda Jean is so amazing! Her prose is inspiring, calming, and yet educational and to the point. She's witty, intelligent, endearing, strong, and tender. If you do not become completely and utterly hooked on her blog -- something is wrong with you! LOL!

Blessings and congratulations!
Lacy

Robbyn said...

I'm glad you already know both of those fantastic blogs :)

Yes...lol...we read Rhonda's blog every day...we both love it, and that includes my husband, who never misses a day. Now I tease him about it and ask him if he's consulted his Australian girlfriend today yet, and we giggle. If he does something I'm not too happy about, I tease him and say "that's it...I'm telling Rhonda!" heehee We love her and see her as a very grounded and creative woman who is quite lovely and whom we'd like to have as a neighbor...even if across the Pond

Stephanie Appleton said...

You always find the most interesting blogs! Heading over to Dirt Under My Nails. Cordwood Masonary.... be still my heart! I can't wait to check it out!

MamaHen said...

Well, thank you soooo much Robbyn! I'm quite honored but after checking out the others awarded I have to say I feel out of place. Their blogs are so much more than mine; very creative and well written. I do appreciate your kind words and it will insprire me to do even better with my blog. Thanks again! I'm glad you enjoy what few things I have to say.

Anonymous said...

Just stopping back by to say hello. I can't sleep thanks to my latest (and last in the series) rabies shot. I feel horrible and can't stand to lay down because my skin hurts.

It's like having the flu for about 24-36 hours.

My husband compared it to getting the smallpox vaccine.

Anyway, I popped over to thank you for your wonderful comment on the manners post. You rock!

Blessings!
Lacy

Unknown said...

Robbyn~ home you had a great 4th...My thoughts and prayers are with you and Jack... It is never an easy thing to deal with...((hugs)) to both of you! Now to go check out these blogs...
PS The bread was great.... I made a barley soup to go with YUMMY!
Christina

Robbyn said...

Stephanie, even though Maria sometimes doesnt have time to post every day, her blog is wonderful and you'll find much about the cordwood building to admire there :)

Annie, to me the blogs are the people who write them, and I love the windows into the lives of so many interesting folks, who many times are like-minded in so many areas. You're an original and I love learning from your life and what you do...and so will many others :)

Christina, you inspired me to make some homemade beef and barley soup myself from what I had in the fridge...a lot of vegetables found there way in there. we're still eating on it, and it's YUM..thanks for the idea! Haven't made the bread yet, but shall soon when i can gather all the ingreds :)

Robbyn said...

Lacy {{{{{{{{ ouch, the rabies treatments }}}}}}}}}} If I lived closer, I'd bring you some of that beef and barley soup christina prompted me to stir up. Hang in there!