Saturday, June 21, 2008

Of Hawks and Bisquick



This is what I believe is a Red-Shouldered Hawk. It was perched on the dead tree in the backyard, looking to score a field mouse or snake between thundershowers.

I know they kill chickens, and when we have a flock someday, I'll have to be vigilant to thwart the them.

But I love them, all the same.

That dead tree is one of their favorite perches, since it overlooks a weedy ditch picturesque drainage canal full of cattails and other snake-infested marsh plants lush vegetation.


-------------------

I love the comments that so many wonderful online friends leave here! I have to apologize for not being as frequent to your blogs just now. A close family member is involved in a health crisis, and it's been unexpected. We're now in a whole different mode, and it's an emotional time that calls for trying to keep clear heads. I'll be here as I can, but please forgive the lapses between responses to comments and emails. I'm still here, but just not as often :)
-------------------

Oh, yeah. And if you've followed the other blog at all, don't even bother to go there just now. That stats will not be good...

I just engaged in a serious Carb Throwdown, er slight setback. I'll spare you the ugly, emotionally-driven eating highlights. I'll just leave you with this image: Drop biscuits with plenty of real butter.

I embraced the carbs.

How many did I embrace??

No Comment.


:)

3 comments:

ilex said...

MMmmmmmm biscuits (insert Homer-like noise here)...

Robbyn said...

Ilex...ha! I can't think about it or I'll want to make some more...

Anonymous said...

Nice picture! I think you are right about this being a red shoulder. It's hard to say with a juvenile and from the brown streaks on its chest and the shape of its tail it looks pretty young. It was probably from an early nest, April or May. Did you notice hawks circling, some very high and one low in early March? They have a distinct and lovely mating dance. Also, red-shoulders are very vocal, more so than red-tails. The perch with a dead tree over a marshy area is classic--the perfect habitat. I wouldn't worry about them attacking full grown chickens. They are smaller than red tails and generally go for small mammals. As well, chickens are pretty tough. I watched one of our hens, our 'alpha' beat off a red tail that attacked one of her sisters. It was pretty awesome and just a few feathers bent on either side.

Whew. I'm a bird-nerd.