Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Frugality Challenge

Use It Up:

Saved peach pits for planting after learning that peach family pits will grow fruit when grown, unlike many other fruits found at the store.

Saved one peach that was getting mushy but was simply really ripe and had been slightly squashed (here at our house) by freezing it for later smoothies.

Incorporating the small bits of leftovers that might usually make it to the compost pile, in order to not waste any food in the fridge at this point. It all adds up. I've got to do better planning so that food I send in Jack's lunches is enough but not too much and therefore wasted.

Wear It Out:

Nothing out of the ordinary today.

Make It Do:

We're sharing the one remaining vehicle and cell phone between our two work schedules. It's a challenge on days/nights like these where the schedules overlap.

Do Without:

Convenience and some sleep. I'm losing sleep because of our double driving of the car, but that's gotta happen. We have to have the jobs and are grateful for them!

6 comments:

Carol said...

What a unique idea...have jobs and be glad you have them. I hope you can pass that idea on to a lot of people. So many don't want to work any more...just want the govt to take care of them..I really enjoy your blog.

www.riverwildlife.blogspot.com

Paulette said...

Yeah Robbyn, it's hard to do, but it sounds like you have a handle on it.
I need to do the same, it's just so hard to get started. Maybe reading your updates will get me moving.

The Thinker said...

Freezing bananas! Oh, good grief. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that yet. :)

I have been buying two big bunches of bananas for my little's morning smoothies. I only shop every two weeks, however. And it is *tough* to make bananas last two weeks! Even with the green bags, they start to go pretty quick.

Now, I have the solution to my problem. Just freeze them when I get them home. Big ol' duh from me. Thanks for the reminder!

Cassandra

Robbyn said...

Carol...lol...it's necessity for us. Interestingly, we're "overqualified" for the jobs we have now and have been working at the lower end of the food chain as far as our ideal jobs for several years since we both were laid off before the economy nose-dived. It's humbling, and a financial challenge. But it's so hard to find jobs elsewhere now, we're SO SO SO thankful just to have some :)

Paulette....I'm chuckling :) Never assume I EVER have anything really together (heehee)...but that whole Necessity being the Mother of Invention thing. I realize every day just how spoiled I am in comparison with my grandparents and how they lived. Makes me want to rise to the occasion :)

Thinker, I've frozen bananas when they're on sale for that very purpose, and also for putting into banana bread. They sell those bags of pre-frozen fruit chunks...I might as well keep a few baggies handy when we have a spare apple or peach or whatever that's about to sit too long and spoil. :)

MamaHen said...

Hey Robbyn! thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment; good to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. The Depression Era motto is something I am often repeating around our house, but find it hard to blog about every little thing. Here, you've summed it all up into one tidy little post. What an inspiration, thank you!