Tuesday, May 28, 2013

In The Interest of Keeping Things Real

I made the most atrocious mess of some food that was supposed to stretch and last us, in various forms, the rest of this week.

My Muse had flown, obviously on an extended vacation, somewhere far from here.  It left me with a pot of stew meat in which I would usually a spark of imagination enough to work some kitchen alchemy and end up with something edible, several different meal incarnations, perhaps even good.

I won't belabor the point, but I didn't just ruin the flavor, I wasted some key ingredients that I DO NEED and are the little goodies that make bulk-purchased staples into something more specialized and finessed.

Well, Not This Time.

And I scorched the whole thing to boot.  And wasted a LOT of  "secondary ingredients," not to mention the PRIMARY ones.

All just in time to not have anything ready for my husband's dinner or overnight shift.  Gah!  So he stopped and got fast food.  Double Gah!! 

And that, my friends, is the reality that I will not, EVER, fully have my act together.  And I'm staring at the pantry wondering if the Muse is back in town yet.  Otherwise we'll be eating pimiento cheese or PBJ sandwiches till shopping day.

And that's....O.....Kayyyy....

;-)


5 comments:

Sandy Livesay said...

I've eaten plenty of PB & J's in my life. We still do when refrig and freezer gets low.

Robbyn said...

Sandy, the vagaries of my knee have meant that PBJs and the like are actually very welcome these days...easy to make and Yum :) I'm just frustrated when I'm the one responsible for wasting a lot of food that otherwise would be really good. All I see are the dollar signs of what I ruined, or the ingredients I won't have for something else I want to make. Ha, I'm such a crybaby! It's no emergency :)

small farm girl said...

Just so you know, you are not alone in ruining food. I've done it before, and I know I will do it again. But, I understand that it still upsets you when it happens.

Practical Parsimony said...

I live alone, but burning so much food still galls me. I cannot afford to waste a weeks worth of food, but I have done it. I sort of muddle around and wonder what I am going to eat. First of all, dinner will be pbj or grilled cheese. Then, I have to figure out what to cook for the next day.

Usually, thawing something is all I need to do, but I still hate I wasted food and money! At least I don't have other people waiting on dinner.

On occasion, ruining so much food was a real hardship and replacing it is not financially easy.

Mystic Mud said...

oh man!! I hate when things like that happen, and all I see are dollar signs too. If I find too many pieces of wasted bread in the compost bucket I go on a "bread strike" and refuse to buy any for about a week....lol...such a meanie, but seriously - wasted food just kills me, so I get where you are coming from. Half the time now even if it comes out wrong we still eat it anyway, which I know you can't do with everything, but I've just gotten THAT tight over the years and the growing number of bellies to feed. I hope your muse finds her way back to you soon!!!